General Rules of Play
Injury prevention is the League’s number one priority and therefore the referees have been instructed to strictly enforce the following rules:
1. Fighting is not tolerated. Fighting will result in immediate expulsion from the League with no refund in registration fees.
2. Raising your stick above the waist and making intentional contact with another player will result in a minor penalty.
3. Raising your stick above your shoulders in an attempt to knock down the puck whether contact is made or not, will result in a minor penalty.
4. Absolutely no body checking.
INJURIES RESULTING FROM STICK WORK
5. If in the opinion of the Referee, a player accidentally injures another player with his stick, he will be automatically ejected from the game and assessed a major penalty. This will not involve any further disciplinary action provided the Referee’s written report indicates that the injury was unintentional or an accident. If in the opinion of the Referee, a player intentionally injures another player with his stick he will be automatically ejected from the game and assessed a major penalty. The Referee’s report will be submitted to the League Disciplinary Committee for further review and possible suspension/fine.
6. Checking from behind, charging and cross checking will result in the full enforcement of CARHA penalties for those infractions and could follow with Disciplinary Committee review and suspension.
7. If in the opinion of the Referee, a player raises his stick above the knee in order to take a slap shot, the play will be whistled dead and a face off will result in that player’s teams end zone. If in the opinion of the Referee, a player purposely takes a slap shot in order to stop play, that player will be assessed a delay of game minor penalty. Sportsmanlike and respectful conduct is also a priority of the League and the following rules will apply:
8. The Team Captain or Referee has the right to ask a player to leave the game if they feel that player’s ability to play is impaired by alcohol or drugs.
9. The League Executive has the right to ask a player to leave the League if they feel that player’s conduct does not support the Leagues operating philosophies. A Captains committee can also petition the League Executive to have a player removed from the League for not supporting the Leagues operating philosophies. Any unused portion of that player’s League fees will be refunded.
10. Players are required to wear their FULL uniforms to every game. Failure to do so could result in League disciplinary review.
11. A player receiving 3 minor penalties in a game will be ejected from that game after the 3rd penalty. The only exception to this rule is for a Goalie who will be suspended for the next game. The game sheet must indicate “player’s third penalty”.
12. Verbal abuse towards Referees will not be tolerated. The referees are asked not to verbally engage players other than Captains or Assistants. If verbal abuse persists, that player will be ejected from the game.
13. A misconduct penalty will result in a 10 minute penalty. Two misconduct penalties assessed in a single game will result in a Game misconduct. A misconduct penalty in the last 5 minutes of the game will NOT result in suspension from the next game.
14. A Game misconduct will result in that player being ejected from the game. A Game misconduct assessed in the last 5 minutes of the game will result in that player being ejected from the game and suspended from the next game.
15. A Gross misconduct will result in that player being ejected from the game and suspended for the next two games. A player’s second gross misconduct penalty in a season will result in ejection from the game and suspension for the next three games. A third gross misconduct penalty in a season will result in ejection from the League with no refund in fees.
16. A major penalty will result in ejection from the game and suspension from the next game. Another player will not be required to sit in the penalty box on behalf of the player who received the major penalty, however, the Team must play short-handed as outlined in CARHA rules. The Captain must also ensure that prior to the end of the major penalty, a player goes to the box in order to return to the ice when the penalty is over. If a player is not in the penalty box when the penalty time has elapsed, no player can go over the boards from the bench until a stoppage in play has occurred.
17. A match penalty will result in ejection from the game and a minimum three game suspension pending review by the League Disciplinary Committee who may elect to add to the suspension or eject that player from the League.
18. Referees have been instructed to issue match penalties to a player who clearly and intentionally injures another player.
19. The League Disciplinary Committee will review infractions of the rules as noted by the Referees or League rules as set out herein that supersede CARHA rules. The Disciplinary Committee shall meet at its discretion to review infractions and shall have the final ruling with regard to any suspensions or expulsions that are assessed and shall also have the right to overrule any of the foregoing rules.
20. If a player has to resign from the League for reasons other than by Disciplinary expulsion, he will be reimbursed for registration fees based on the following; Fees will be calculated by the League on a total games from registration to resignation formula including those games until a new player replaces the resigning player. The remaining portion of the fee will then be refunded to the player resigning from the League.
21. Uniforms are to be returned to the Team Captain or Executive member at the end of the season playoff tournament. Players who do not return their assigned uniform at the end of the season will not be permitted to register in the League until the uniform is returned.
MSHL Playoff Tournament Tie Breaking Rules
At the conclusion of the League Playoff round robin games, the top four teams (based on total round robin playoff points – 2 points for a win and 1 point for a tie) will advance to the League Championship finals. The 1st and 2nd place teams will play a one game final for the League Playoff Championship and the 3rd and 4th place teams will play a one game final for the Consolation final. Should there be a tie between Teams in the round robin playoff total points earned, the following formula will be utilized to determine the relative finishing position of those Teams;
1) Team who won the head to head game.
2) Team with the most wins.
3) Team with the lowest goals against.
4) Team with the best plus minus.
5) Team with lowest penalty minutes.
6) Team with the most goals.